The Forum is the BSI's 'think tank' and the place where the issues and ideas that are of importance to the Society and its members are raised, discussed and developed. The Forum develops ideas and proposals for the consideration of the Board of Trustees.
Members of the Forum are expected to:
- Attend Forum meetings
- Be forward thinking, proactive and participatory
- Be respectful of the views and concerns of fellow Forum members
- Be familiar with current trends and issues of relevance to the Society
- Be willing and able to engage with members of the Immunological community in order to glean and disseminate information
- Consider issues pertinent to the many diverse interests of the Society's members
- Support and promote the strategic aims of the Society
- Encourage membership of the Society
- Be prepared to lead or take part in small working groups as appropriate
Forum members are elected from the membership, by the membership, following open calls for vacant positions. An elected member shall serve on the Forum for a single term of four years. If he or she has served a term as a member of the Forum he or she must take a break and may not serve again as a member of the Forum until two years have elapsed.
Once elected the Chair of the Forum shall automatically serve as a Trustee ex officio. The term of office for the Chair of the Forum shall be four years in line with other Trustees. The Forum will hold face-to-face meetings at least three times a year. Additional correspondence will be carried out between meetings via email and telephone as appropriate. Members who do not attend for three consecutive meetings will be asked to leave the committee.
The Forum has 15 permanent roles as outlined below, with additional members invited as required. These invited positions currently consist of the Animal Science Group Representative (reporting to and from the Animal Sciences Group) and the Policy Representative (reporting to and from the Society of Biology).